"Hi Jenna!"
"Hi Jenna, its been awhile....What have you been up to lately?"
- I'm glad you asked :) The past few weeks have been focused a LOT on classes~this is the middle of the semester, when things start to get busy! I've also spent time with a few church members--this past Sunday afternoon I rode in the back of a truck to visit Tia (aunt) Metche and her family. We ate a big lunch, looked at photos, walked around the neighborhood, and even watched some tv in Spanish. It was a good opportunity to get to know them better!
"oh, and how is your Spanish? are you fluent yet?"
- Emm... I'll be transparent here. My Spanish is progressing~ but I've found that the process is slow and at times frustrating. I tend to be more reserved in conversations anyways, so the temptation is strong to just listen and not speak!! I have so much I want to say--but it takes endurance to fight for each sentence. After awhile its easy to go on autopilot instead of staying actively engaged. My experience with Spanish here has been a process... one that has shown me some areas of personal weakness, and one that has caused a deeper dependence on the Lord for endurance.
"Hmmm... that's interesting. How are the online classes going?"
- Bien... mas o menos! I have a Spanish reading assignment due each week, which keeps me busy! 1 Corinthians and Syst. Theology 3 just started, and I am enjoying the audio lectures. (and need to start work on the outlines!) Linguistics has been a challenge for me personally. I am struggling with some of the content, and desperately need to finish the first part of the class soon. Focusing and using wisely the time that I do have has been a struggle that I've constantly dealt with... welcome to life, eh? :)
" Jenna~tell me the truth~Do you ever get lonely?"- Good question.... and to be honest, the answer sometimes is yes. Although I am generally independent, and mom/dad/friends are only a skype call away.... Every once in awhile I do feel isolated and away from all that is familiar. But~ that's part of adjusting to a new culture, and God has given the grace He's promised that He would. Most of that battle was during the first few weeks, but since then it continues to test my belief that God alone satisfies .... Psalm 139 has been such an encouragement.
"Hey, I don't want to keep you, but what is one of the things God been teaching you lately? and
how can I pray for you?"- One thing (I'll spare you the book version,lol) that being out of the United States has taught me is that I ought to strive together with those I love by praying for them--that includes those here in Chile, at home, and at Northland. Believers can and must bear up one another by spending time alone with God in prayer. The cause of the Gospel is too important, and time is too short for us to forsake one another--even when separated for awhile.
- You can pray that I'll stay faithful to what God has called me to do in Chile. Pray that I'll keep my eyes wide open, and keep my heart tuned in to the things the Holy Spirit is trying to accomplish. You can pray that I'll redeem the time that I have left here (a mere 5 1/2 weeks). and most of all... you can pray that I'll focus on the Gospel, and not myself.
Thanks for listening~and thanks for asking, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment