Friday, August 28, 2009

What do I do while waiting?

I've been home from camp for a few weeks now, and I have a lot to do before I'll be ready to head to Chile. What in the world does one do before leaving the country? I'm learning as I go, but here are some things I've been up to.
  • Vaccinations--I found the Center for Disease Control website, and discovered that I needed some updates (4 to be exact) on normative shots just to be safe. Two on each arm "ouch"~but I survived!
  • Finances--It's always good to keep the friendly people at the bank (seriously, they are nice people~I used to be a teller, lol) informed that I will be abroad.... lest they protectively freeze my credit/debit card services temporarily!
  • Learn to Listen!-- I've been told that when trying to learn a language in an immersion situation, a good thing to do prior to departure is work... HARD... on listening comprehension! So, I found some places to listen and read the news in Spanish (BBC Mundo being one of them). Hopefully, if I understand what I am hearing, I can take some strides with the Spanish Language this semester!
  • Technology-- I created this blog, for starters! I also took my computer to a professional for some much needed maintenance work. My laptop is a 3 year old, well used piece of equipment that I am thankful for, but it needed extra memory. Skype is another tool I will use from Chile to keep in touch!
  • Family Time--I am so grateful for the last few weeks I've had at home...my family has been so supportive. My mom, dad, sisters, and extended family have all been a blessing!
There are many other things I've been doing in preparation as well, but these seemed to be the most obvious ones!

I leave for Northland tomorrow morning, and I will spend the last few days before I leave (on Sept. 12) sitting in sessions, researching Chile, and catching up with Northland friends. Honestly, the most important part of preparation to me has been the extra time during this season at home to pray and seek the Lord... that is of First Importance!

3 comments:

  1. that is so exciting Jenna. I almost wish I could have done something like that...but I probably would have really horrible grades! :) I'll be thinking and praying for you! Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the next update.

    We continue to pray for you as you prepare to leave in less than two weeks.

    On this end, we are preparing as well to help you adjust and settle into your next three months in Chile.

    See ya at the airport! We'll be the only "gringo" family of six by the baggage claim...you can't miss us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna,
    I can completely understand all (or at least a lot) of what you're thinking and feeling right now. I've been in that boat, where the departure date is drawing near and you're still trying to figure out all the details and stuff. Know that I am praying for you now and on Saturday as you travel, and also while you're there. You will learn so much, Jenna! You'll learn tons of Spanish, I even did and I didn't try extra hard. But most importantly, you will learn more about who God is, and you will learn to know God better. I'm so excited for you to have this opportunity, and I'll be anxious to hear about it when we finally get to see each other again! I love you, cousin!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete